Friday, June 10, 2011

Imminent Departure

So, I caved. I wasn't planning on it, but here I am.  Blogging.  On the eve of a new adventure, I find myself once again choosing fonts, backgrounds, and titles.  Well, it sure beats mass emails.

What exactly am I doing in Hawaii, other than being in Hawaii, that is?  I am volunteering at Kalani Oceanside Retreat for two months.  I will be working in the kitchen, and in my copious (no sarcasm) amounts of free time, I will be practicing yoga, learning hula, and hopefully doing a bit of research on the Hawaiian sovereignty movement (if you're perplexed, don't worry, there will be more to come on that one).

What is this Kalani place? To quote directly from the website, "Kalani is an educational nonprofit organization that celebrates Hawaii, nature, culture and wellness..." It is part alternative vacation spot, part organic farm, part resident community, part yoga retreat, part "ecocultural learning" center, and 100% wonderful.  Located in a remote part of the Big Island, Kalani will be my home for the summer.

I'm off to Hilo at 6am on Sunday.  Once there, I will be blogging sporadically.  Expect a few photos from my beautiful new camera, more on the Hawaiian independence movement, a meditation on existence or two, and a bit (or more) about life on the Big Island.

That's it for now!
Aloha,
Toby

No comments:

Post a Comment